In an effort to add some nutritional goodness to sweet rolls, I came up with this healthier alternative to the all white flour sweet dough. Oatmeal and oat bran give this dough more nutritional value and a more dense dough but not rock hard or heavy. Instead of a cinnamon roll I got inspired from another roll I saw to put peach preserves in the middle with a touch of cinnamon sugar. When they come out of the oven let them cool long enough to put a light glaze on top. The results are lightly sweet and delicious, its like not having to put jelly on your roll because it’s already there :).
Oatmeal Peach Roll-ups
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/8 cup oil
1 pkg. yeast or 2 1/4 tsps.
1/2 cup uncooked quick oatmeal
1/8 cup oat bran or wheat bran
1 3/4 to 2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
4 oz. of peach preserves or your favorite
cinnamon and sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 T. milk
- heat water in small bowl to warm about 30 sec. in microwave and add the yeast to the water with a teaspoon of sugar, set aside and let bubble up
- in another small bowl heat milk, oil , sugar and salt together until very warm about 1 minute in microwave, stir until sugar and salt dissolve.
- in a large mixing bowl add all wet ingredients, oatmeal, bran and 1 3/4 cups of flour use the bread hook and turn on mixer to low or mix by hand. If mixing by hand add the flour 1/2 cup at a time so it won’t be so difficult to work with.
- knead dough with mixer until all is combined well and the dough is no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl
- in a medium large bowl spray with cooking spray and put dough in the bowl rolling around to cover dough with cooking spray oil, cover dough with a light kitchen towel or plastic wrap sprayed with cooking oil.
- let rise in a warm place until double in size about 1 1/2 hours.
- when dough has risen long enough punch down in center and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 in. thick.
- spread the peach preserves over the top of dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar
- roll up starting from the long side
- cut into 2 in. rolls with dental floss (tips on making rolls with filling check here)spray
- spray a muffin pan or a pan with sides with cooking spray and put each roll into the pan
- let rise until double
- ready to pop into the oven.
- bake at 375 degrees for 15 min. on the lowest rack
- let cool 15 min. and transfer to a plate
- mix the powdered sugar and milk together in small bowl and drizzle over the top
Makes about 18 rolls. ENJOY!