2 cups cake flour (264 grams)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (216 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (104 grams)
1 T. baking powder (10 grams)
1/2 tsp. baking soda (1 gram)
1/2 tsp. salt (4 grams)
3/4 cup cold butter (198 grams)
1 large egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract (10 grams)
1 cup whipping cream (287 grams)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (32 grams)
1/2 cup dried cherries (80 grams)
1/2 tsp. all spice (optional)
1 cup powdered sugar
3 T. cherry pie filling (for flavor and color may just use milk to make glaze)
3 tsp. milk to thin to desired consistency
Measure all dry ingredients and dump into at least an 8 cup food processor with blade fitted in, pulse the dry ingredients a few times to mix together.
Cut the butter into small chunks and add all to the flour mixture, fit lid on and pulse until the butter gets combined and forms pea size beads.
Crack egg into a measuring cup and add the vanilla to it, turn on the food processor and pour egg and vanilla through shoot and stop when it begins to look wet.
Measure the whip cream turn on the food processor and gently pour into the shoot while the processor is running and stop when the mixture begins to come together.
Dump out the dough onto a lightly floured surface (the dough will be wet), dump the cherries and chocolate chips on top of dough and with floured hands pat down into the dough and fold over one side press down and then fold over the other press down. Add flour if the dough is too wet your hand should not be sticking too much. For some more photos on add fruit, and things to scones check out the blueberry scones recipe
Make a round disc and flatten a little then wrap in plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour or longer. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
After dough has rested roll out with a light floured rolling pin to about 3/4 inch thickness. If you are going to cut shapes out of the the dough make sure your cutter is floured each time you press it down into the dough. Do not want cut out shapes them cut the dough into a pie or pizza evenly with a pizza cutter or butcher knife.
Put scones on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat for baking
or parchment paper.
Bake for 15 min. or until lightly browned. Let cool on the rack for 10 minutes, then move to cooling rack to cool completely.
In a small mixing bowl, mix all the glaze ingredients together with a whisk until it is smooth and pourable. Pour glaze on each scone spreading with a frosting spatula to smooth out evenly.
Makes about 7-8 heart shaped scones.
- When I measured the cherries and chocolate chips and dumping them into the dough I thought I would want more and added about 1/4 cup more of each, after baking and eating I think it may have been too much, so that is why I left the recipe at it’s original amount.
- I didn’t add the all spice to this recipe but think that I should have to give the dough a touch more flavor.
- When making the glaze, if using the canned pie filling just get the filling not the fruit.
- If you don’t have pie filling just use milk a little at a time to get the consistency right.
- I added 2 pinches of nutmeg to the glaze and it was plenty flavored.
- I think that mini chocolate chips would be great to use instead of regular ones.